13/02/2013

Despite the chill in the air things are definitely starting to happen out there. I had a quick scout around my garden on Saturday before the rain started up again and all that manure I mulched it with has almost disappeared into the soil already.
Over the next few weeks I’ll aim to get another load down. Our soil is so sandy and poor its going to need a lot over the next few years to get it conditioned. The constant rain this year will have washed many nutrients out too so in early April I’m going to put down some growmore to give the plants that extra boost.
You can really improve the vigour and health of your plants by using a good feeding regime. I use a general feed early in the year such as growmore, chicken pellets or fish, blood and bone in all of my borders. These are easy to apply by scattering at the rates on the packet then gently raking in. I like to give my flowering and fruiting plants a boost with a high potash feed which encourages flower and fruit formation. My vegetable beds get an organic but high nitrogen feed every month in the growing season to promote leafy growth and my pots get a liquid feed every couple of weeks.
So as soon as the weather allows I’ll be out there giving my plants a good start.

Coffee Shops

Coffee Shops
All 4 of our Garden Centres have a coffee shop with a wide variety of hot and cold beverages, cakes, pasteries and many more. Look out for our special offers.