30/05/2012

With the fantastic weather this weekend I put some serious time into the garden. As with anything it’s all in the preparation so first I tackled the little border I have in the front. The previous owners of our flat obviously liked slate – I removed 13 bags of it! Underneath the soil was compacted but not in bad shape. We’re on sand which is easy to work but doesn’t hold nutrients or water well so whilst I dug it over I incorporated plenty of compost to give it a good start. A quick rake and level finished the prep. I’ll now leave it to settle for a while until I’ve decided what to plant there.
At the back I prepared the narrow strip between the decking and the fence with some more compost, cleared the honeysuckle that was taking the fence over and started painting the shed – I’m using an off-white colour so it’s going to take a few coats. My neighbour commented that it looks a bit like a beach hut, which is the look I was going for so I’m pretty pleased.
The herbs I planted are really putting on some growth now. It’s amazing what regular water and a bit of plant feed does. I’ve also popped some French beans into a grow-bag and am going to grow some basil from seed for economy as we use such a lot of it. Yummy with a simple meal of tomatoes, mozzarella, olive oil and some crusty bread.

Coffee Shops

Coffee Shops
All 4 of our Garden Centres have a coffee shop with a wide variety of hot and cold beverages, cakes, pasteries and many more. Look out for our special offers.